Here is the recipe that we used on the 3 Growlers show for Bittersweet Chocolate and Stout Ice Cream:
This recipe was found on Allrecipes.com here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bittersweet-Chocolate-and-Stout-Beer-Ice-Cream
- 1 Pint Heavy Cream
- 1 Package of Chocolate Chips (we used semi-sweet)
- 3/4 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Pint of Local Stout (We used Big Wood’s Morning Wood)
- Any additional topping (nuts, whip cream, etc, we don’t recommend any more chocolate, it’s pretty rich at this point)
- Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat until it begins to bubble. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate and sugar until melted. Slowly stir in the stout beer. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions until it reaches “soft-serve” consistency. Transfer ice cream to a two-quart lidded plastic container; cover surface with plastic wrap and seal. For best results, ice cream should ripen in the freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Watch our 3 Growlers Episode to watch us make the ice cream: